WSET Diploma Course
The WSET Diploma is one of the most advanced courses of wine study in the world. In many countries, it is a prerequisite for pursuing the title of Master of Wine. The WSET Advanced Level 3 Award is a prerequisite for enrolling in the Diploma course.
The WSET Diploma Course consists of six Units:
- Unit 1, The Business of Wine [course info] [assessment info]
- Unit 2, Wine Production [course info] [exam info]
- Unit 3, Light Wines of the World [course info] [exam info]
- Unit 4, Spirits of the World [course info] [exam info]
- Unit 5, Sparkling Wines of the World [course info] [exam info]
- Unit 6, Fortified Wines of the World [course info] [exam info]
Until 2005, a seventh Unit was required. This 4,500 to 5,000 word independent research paper is now the Honours Diploma, an additional achievement you can try for after having earned the WSET Diploma.
Registration and Sequence of WSET Diploma Units
When you sign up with the WSET to take the Diploma course, you register for a period of three academic years. Read more important information about registering for the WSET Diploma Course.
The WSET requires that you take Units 1 and 2 first, but you may take Units 3 through 6 in any sequence after that. Most students take the Unit 1-6 courses over a period of 2 years, reserving the third year of their registration period for re-taking any exams they may not have successfully passed on the first attempt.
Diploma Student Resources
We are committed to helping our students learn as much and as effectively as possible during their Diploma studies, so that they are well prepared for the challenging Diploma exams. Some of the ways we do that include the following:
- Portfolios of tasting notes: As a service to our students, we ask our students to submit a number of tasting notes for each Unit so that we can give feedback before an exam.
- Practice Exams, included at no charge with Diploma course registration through phillywine.com (for both in-class and home study students), help our students prepare for the challenging Diploma exams.
- The Diploma Assessment Preparation Scheme (DAPS) is an optional mentoring program for Diploma students. You receive exam-answering practice and feedback via email from a team of expert mentors.
- Study resources such as examiners' reports about past years' exams are available for download.
Home Study and Online Course Options
Home Study is a wonderful and more affordable opportunity for Advanced Level 3 Award holders who want to take their wine study to the next level. For local students, registering with phillywine.com for your Diploma home study is an especially good value because our practice exams are included at no additional charge. Our instructors also often send their PowerPoint presentations to home study students as well as to in-class students. Learn more about Diploma Home Study.
We are pleased to announce that beginning in the winter of 2013, we can offer access to the online version of the Level 4 Diploma course. This course was piloted for a year in England and for another year with the International Wine Center in New York, and we are now permitted to sign up our students also. Learn more about the Online Diploma Course.
Each year since 2002, several Advanced Certificate holders who had not officially signed up with the WSET for the Diploma have signed up for our Diploma classes. They weren't interested in earning further credentials -- they just wanted to learn more about wine in the most thorough classes available anywhere in the world. Such auditors are still welcome. Please contact us for special reduced prices.